Joining Jen for my first 7 Quick Takes:
1. I have mother guilt but I threw out all of our playdough yesterday. In my defense it was getting crumbly and dry anyway, but really I just couldn't handle it right now. Zelie loves the stuff and would happily mush it around for long periods of time. Like I said, mother guilt. But the mess! makes me crazy since it gets all over the floor, crusted on clothes, and most annoyingly in Xavier's mouth. Sorry children, maybe we'll try again in a year, but for now its gone.
2. For about a month now a building within 1 mile of our house has had a "drive thru" sign painted on it. I have been happily concocting what delicious fast food will only be a mile from our house. On the way to school/adoration/the grocery store? Time for a taco/ tater tots/ sugary drink! Since we live in a small town, I have to keep my dreams realistic. I know it won't be a Chik-fil-a, or a Chipotle, but a girl can dream about a Dairy Queen or Taco Tico. But unfortunately, no. Joel informed me its going to be a bait shop. What a let down! I will probably need sometime before I can buy bait there without resentment.
3. The boys both went on field trips to the Pumpkin Patch this week. I initially thought about driving, but could only fit one extra kid in the van and would have brought a curious toddler and a demanding nursling along. Essentially I would have been no help at all. I do feel better about this now that it is 40 degrees and wildly windy. I told Gus that "some year I will be able to drive for a school field trip." Like when he's in middle school, and doesn't want to be in my car anyway.
4. Tomorrow I will turn 29. To celebrate we are butchering 90+ chickens. Its sure to be a party.
5. In relation to #4, I thought about writing a self-pitying poem entitled "Warm Carcass Gloves," but decided some of my friends might not read my posts anymore if I did that. Okay, done with gross chicken talk.... now.
6. Halloween is less than a week away and I still haven't figured out costumes for the kids. I think coordinating costumes are really, really cute and would love to be as disciplined as my friend Elizabeth,
but the farm duties and the beginning of the school year seemed to conspire against such cuteness. I had plans to make the kids all capes so they could go as superheroes,which they were excited about. I even had the capes cut out (including a cute little cape for Xavier), but I didn't get past the pinning and ironing stage before I got too busy to pick it back up in time. So now I'm trying to talk the Jude, Gus and Zelie into one of the costumes we already have around the house. Xavier will be the usual "Bear" that all the kids are for their first few Halloweens. I'm so glad I had the energy when Jude was a baby to make that one!
7. Halloween is a mixed emotion for me. The candy makes me crazy. I would love to be a super Catholic parent and rally behind the Halloween as "All Saints Day Eve approach". Doing fun, creative projects so that my children will say on their own, "Mom, can I dress up as St. Peter?" But, even if I can't get that holy, its such a fun day for the kids getting to dress up. Our town always has done a really fun trick-or-treat day right after school along Main Street called Trick-or-Treat street where all the business owners dress up and hand out candy to the kids. Its a really fun time for Joel and I too, since we get to see Joel's students and spend our monthly allotment of socialization in the community.
Alright, that was my first lackluster attempt at 7 Quick Takes. Be patient with me, I'm a baby blogger and need formulas to follow to post. Happy weekend!
Hehe this made me chuckle.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the playdough and the field-trip. As soon as our playdough starts to appear in any way "dried out" (or even just beginning to get mildly crusty) it ends up in the trash. Once all that has been given to us is gone I plan to make my own. (Which will make it easier to control how much we have and potentially the clean-up, right?) I keep our playdough up high where I only I can reach it (when I feel like it) and I have guilt over that, too as I know my kids need to be building finger muscles, but so far the oldest two are able to write and the third can hold his pencil with three fingers so I"m not too troubled.
Happy Birthday!! I hope Joel does something nice (perhaps after the chickens are "resting").
Happy Birthday! I found you from quick takes and I have to agree with you about halloween and play-doh! We just use our dress up clothes for halloween, and nothing scary! :))
ReplyDeleteI really am enjoying you blogging again Jackie :) And happy last-year-of-your-20s. Be sure to live it up in ways only an Arnold can ;D (after the butchering is done for the day, of course) The bait shop resentment made me chuckle. I totally understand.
ReplyDeleteOh, and thanks for the compliment, but we don't usually do themed costumes. Last year was just the living out of a lifelong dream for me. This year the girls' costumes will be of their own choosing, so therefore not related to each other at all. Although I could probably still fit into the Mary Poppins costume since I'm still not back up to the weight I was when I wore it last year. Somehow a pregnant Mary Poppins makes her relationship with Bert take on a completely different meaning though, and I don't think I want to go there. Plus I'd have to make another penguin costume for Amelia since she's grown since then. Maybe Matt can use his jacket to be a vaudeville entertainer of some sort...
Yay, another blog post! I'm on cloud 9...or is it 7? It should be 7 right?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, don't feel guilty about the playdough, I'm sure they'll find something else to play and make messes that drive you crazy with soon. :) And don't feel bad about the capes either, maybe you'll be way ahead of schedule for next year if you keep working on them slowly.
I'd rather enjoy reading that poem about the warm chicken gloves...