Monday, October 22, 2012

Reclaiming the blog/ Journal

More and more my days have been blurring together with the craziness that is life with 4 kids, way too many chickens, a garden and all the stuff that fills the day. I've been thinking for some time that I need a place to write out my thoughts and record how I'm doing, what I'm thinking, and more importantly all the joys and blessings of these years.
Motherhood and life on the farm can be lonely sometimes, and if I'm not careful I can get into a big funk. So I'm going to give blogging another go as a way to sort though the days and be more conscious of it all. I want to remember (most) of these crazy days!

Here goes:

Out my window: just a bit chilly, not much wind. I'm okay with this. The fewer days I have to put children in jackets/coats AND car seats the better.

Clothing myself in: black pants, blue top with yellow scarf (I'm leaving to teach Spanish soon).

Around the farm: Joel (and his amazing brothers and nephews!) finished the roof a few weeks ago. We are going to put new plastic roofing over the pergola (last Spring's hail knocked some big holes in it) soon. But mostly chickens are on my mind. I really like the experience as a whole, and I like having good meat for us and to share. But it can be very stressful, and I think we will be re-examining whether its worth it or not this winter. That said, the current batch is getting really big and butchering is just around the corner. I've also been thinking about re-doing a room or two this winter.

Baby Xavey: He's trying to stand, but doesn't have the confidence yet. Frankly, Xavier has never been very fond of new milestones in babyhood. He, like his mother, would rather put off change until it can't be avoided. He is a happy little guy though, and the kids have really been having a fun time with him lately. That said, it seems like most days he will NOT let me put him down. Much crying and despair occurs when I need two hands, and it has been seriously wearing me out. Most mornings I end up with him in the pack to do my morning chicken chores because he will wail in the house the whole time I'm gone. Wonderfully, he is a pretty good sleeper at night.

The kiddos: School has been better for Jude. I know most kids go through a difficult transition entering Kindergarten, but it seemed like Jude's angst was beyond normal. We are trying some new supplements (love you Jamie!!) and trying to avoid milk and gluten and, as of now (one week into the new supplements), his mood has changed for the better. This is a huge blessing since Jude has always been a challenge emotion-wise. My hope is that the new diet and supplements are meeting his little body's needs better and correcting some troubled areas. Gus, is such a sweet, loving little guy, and is in such a good stage right now. And Zelie is potty training, and learning new words, and curious about everything. She talks all day, and I mean all day. But I love her sweet chatter.

Crafting: I knitted Zelie a stocking hat for winter a and then sewed on a felt flower from a broken headband. I was pleased with the results. Xavey will get one next.
I'm going to expand on the definition of crafting for this next one: I've also been working on a class for the Regan Institute for the Wichita Catholic School teacher religion class inservice. I'll be teaching an all day class on my thesis topic (Catholic culture in education via historian Christopher Dawson), and I'm really nervous!! I've never taught anything for this length of time. Plus, knowing how Joel has reacted to these classes in the past and what he has told me about how other teachers have reacteds at the Regan Institute makes me jittery. The school teachers are a tough crowd, so I'm trying to put together an engaging Powerpoint with lots of media and a few activities on an admittedly very academic topic. I foresee disaster! (kidding, kind of).

In the kitchen and garden: General Tso Chicken, Samosas, Chicken tikka Masala, Squash soup, Butternut sausage pasta. I'm trying to find the will to finish processing the garden tomatoes and water the fall spinach and lettuce so they don't die.

Bringing me joy: Zelie starting to play "ge-gos (Legos) with her brothers. Kingman cousins sitting around our table sharing an after-school snack. Praying Morning Prayer with a nursing babe before everyone else is awake.

Thinking about: Trying to be joyful even when I don't feel it. Realizing that my joy (or lack thereof) is sensed by my family. Loving my husband in his love language.

Pictures to share:


Zelie's new hat and new smile. Lovely.


So glad he figured this out.
A board game with dad, Jude is in heaven.

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have you posting again! I really enjoyed this little peek into life on the farm :) You and your family really do inspire me. And the pictures are great! I will assure you I will be a faithful reader, but lately I have been lacking in the commenting department, so I apologize for any future posts I read and don't get around to commenting on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, I love this. Thanks for sharing, I hope you continue to! It's nice to have a way to share our lives (and keep a record). Zelie is too precious, I really love her and all your kids really. So does X know how to go up and down the ladder now? I'm really quite amazed you are able to do all you do with your kids in tow. LIke Elizabeth said, you are inspiring and help me find the will to do my work here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this makes me happy. i love to hear your thoughts and of course i think your kiddos are beautiful! i'm always impressed by your work ethic and your smarty pants brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so so nice to be able to "catch up" with you this way. How great that Joel has a board game buddy :) I love Zelie's smile, she is so precious. And Xavier's hair is so great- he looks just like a small man.

    ReplyDelete