Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Journal: the sometimes blogger

Out my window: A beautiful day! 50-ish. Zelie and I went on a walk and she fell asleep in the stroller so I am enjoyed a rare (and brief) quiet time with both the little ones sleeping. I do wish for some cold and snow sometime soon, or really just some moisture. 

Clothing myself in: Another mom "uniform" day: jeans (which are developing a hole in the knee), brown tee and pink cardigan.

Around the house: I got all the wallpaper off the bathroom walls fairly easy, but the glue is its own layer and is going to require much more work. Being sick this week has stopped all progress. Joel and I were talking about which part of the house was "next" to be redone and we decided the hallway would be up soon (the wallpaper is peeling in multiple places care of some children). Joel half jokingly/half seriously suggested we put up new wallpaper. The look that I gave him (and the slap on the shoulder) makes me think he won't be making that suggestion again. 

I digress. We also finished up our room and it looks great! We hung up this on our last empty wall.

Baby Xavey: He's either teething or he's getting an earache. It seems like the poor little guy wants to be held or nurse constantly when he's awake. But he's still sleeping good, so I'm thankful for that. 


Reading: I finished a book recently, and started on the first part of Jesus of Nazareth. 

In the kitchen: Christmas cooking is on my mind, but I still have to feed us regular food until then. On the menu this week: White chicken chili with corn bread, these chicken tacos, store-bought gnocchi with sausage, a version of this Italian Wedding Soup with my own meatballs, Sweet potato soup (thanks for the recipe Sarah!). 
For Joel's family Christmas I'm bring a seven layer dip and these Chocolate-covered Cognac Cranberries and some salted Chocolate-covered caramels. I am seriously looking forward to the food there! It is one of the food highlights of my year.  My family's Christmas is more laid back, but I am covering side dishes to go with baked ham. Any ideas?

The kiddos: We have been trying to break Zelie of a particularly ridiculous habit lately. Namely, that she takes her clothes off during the day. Not just once in a while, but everyday, multiple times a day, sometimes outside.  The girl likes to hang out in her birthday suit, a lot. No solutions yet.
We had a fun weekend with the older boys. The kids and I gave Joel a new board game called Seven Wonders for his birthday, which we played 3! times this weekend. If you know Joel (and his offspring) you know that any weekend involving 3 games is great. The boys were actually pretty good at it after learning it the first time. Part of the game involves building up an army, and I was amused by what little war-mongers they were.

Crafting: I have been working on a scarf for Joel's Christmas present, but I didn't buy enough yarn, so hopefully I can get to the yarn store in Wichita very soon.

Bringing me joy: Making Christmas candy with my grandma, mom, aunt,  cousins, and Zelie. It  was pretty great having four generations cooking together.


Thinking about: Newtown and all those children. My heart breaks for everyone involved. Though He did not will it, I know that God's ways are mysterious and some good can come from this tragedy. Praying for them.

Pictures to share:

Zelie helping set out the turtles to cool.

Four generations of candy makers. 

Happy Advent!

6 comments:

  1. I am glad to see you back :) Aw, Zelie's streaking sounds both funny (from an outside perspective) and annoying (from a mom perspective). I hope you either figure out something that works or she outgrows it quickly.

    I love that picture of you all baking together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, thank you for not having the verification code on your blog. I will always comment liberally because of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed catching up on your blog, Jackie.
    I have a mom uniform too (in reference to an older post I'm too lazy to go back and find)...jeans (or sweats if I'm at home), tank top and sweatshirt/hoodie. Every. Single. Day. In summer I swap out the hoodie for a t-shirt and the jeans for capris or bermudas. Glad to know it's not just me.

    BLESSINGS to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miriam has been glued to me today, so I feel your pain with baby Xavey.

    Bummer on Zellie-the-stripper. Maybe more complicated or tighter clothing that she is unable to get off successfully? Sorry I cannot be more helpful. I am always grateful we have not dealt with this yet, as I know the problem is fairly common.

    And a friend of our recently recommended the 7 Wonders board game. It is on my "wishlist" but we need to redo our budget soon, so either I snag it up quick (and beg forgiveness) or it might be a while before funds are released for "fun." I imagine you know how that is :)

    And for the record, I enjoy your blogging, whenever it happens. . . no matter how sporadic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what others said and am glad you are feeling better. I LOVE the Van Gogh painting - it's so perfect for you guys! I also really like the picture of Xavier - Christmas innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. did I ever receive said scarf? I don't remember getting a scarf...

    Love you. I enjoyed reading all these old posts. Maybe for my birthday this year you could give me a month of Wednesday journal entries.

    Or a scarf.

    ReplyDelete